Skip to main content

My Imaginary Friend - Epiphany


June 9, 1998

When I was a child on the farm, our bus-ride to school took over an hour in each direction.  When my best friend Patsy wasn't there, I would let my imagination take over, watching closely out the window as my imaginary friend, a pure white horse, galloped alongside the bus, majestically leaping fences, ditches, and the occasional house, and otherwise cavorting in the pure joy of motion that is a horse.  This horse stayed with me right through the hundreds of school bus rides till the end of high school, and even occasionally showed up to run delicately through city streets beside the bus I took to work or accompany me on long tedious car trips. 

I never tried to understand the horse, just watched with awe and heart-surging joy as it leapt, trotted and cantered through the fields of my mundane world.  I once tried to draw it, once to paint it, but my clumsy hands could never capture the radiance of that powerful free spirit who somehow chose to follow at my side like a favourite dog, and I have been content to let it run, wild and free, through the mountain pastures of my imagination.

Two years ago, struggling to accept at what level I have an absolute right to exist in this world, I came up with the analogy of a dandelion in a ditch: the right to air, and rain, and food.  Since then, I have been searching for a metaphor for my right to happiness; that has been a far more difficult task.  I knew I could not "invent" a metaphor; that I needed to wait until the right symbol came to me.

Today, driving along the boring highway between Hamilton and Brantford, I found myself again accompanied by my white horse, whose existence I had pretty much forgotten.  Still, I was glad to see it, as I always am, and asked myself, as I watched it leap a fence, muscles rippling in its powerful white chest while white mane and tail danced in the breeze, what it symbolizes for me.  Freedom and power.   A wild horse exults in its power; even a domestic horse, submissive as it may seem to the will of man, lives in the secret knowledge of its superior strength and tolerance; it is its strength that carries us, and its free choice that grants our desire to ride.

And then, suddenly, I knew that I am that horse; that the freedom and power so visible in it exist also in me, and my knees lost their strength and the car began to slow down.  I had always seen my primary self-image as one of powerlessness, of being a tiny speck in an uncaring universe.  Could such power, such freedom, such beauty, exist in me?  NO! I wanted to shout; it CAN'T be—I am more like the pebble beneath the white horse's hooves … but no, it is not so; not only am I the horse, but I have always been the horse; she is that part of me that cannot be tamed or subjugated; that leaps and cavorts on crisp spring mornings; that drinks deeply from clear mountain streams, knows my place in nature, and is never lost.

Tears stung my eyes; as I slowed the car, the white horse, whom I could now see to be an Arabian mare, turned and met my eyes.  Her eyes, wide and brown and luminous, laughed at my distress, and she tossed her delicate head in a horse's nod to confirm this truth for me.  Her long and graceful neck, her dancing feet, and the wisdom and patience and ease in her gaze held me breathless. … could this radiant and powerful creature truly be me?

I held my breath for an eternity while my pain struggled against this knowledge; then unexpectedly, I felt new strength in my legs, felt the muscles cording with power and energy, and I tossed my hair back in joy and exultation, proudly lifting my chin to meet the white horse's eyes as an equal.  I could swear she was laughing then, shaking her head vigorously up and down as she ran, kicking her heels in the air for no reason whatsoever, and daring me to race her the rest of the way to work. 

It was a tie.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Experiencing a Miracle

In the early 1990s, my (then) husband Dave and I participated in the Sufi ‘work’ in Hamilton with two men I remember only as Adnan and Harry. We did chanting, belly-dancing, drumming, and yes, the well-known whirling (the Sufis are the original ‘whirling dirvishes’). At first, it all just felt kind of silly, and I often asked myself why I was bothering. I had given up on religion, so why was I following teachers from a strange Islamic sect? Well, in terminology I’m borrowing from Buddhism, each of these activities was aimed at occupying the ‘monkey mind’, enabling one to (occasionally!) enter a trance-like state, so that the True Self might be heard. I had some interesting epiphanies over the two-year period of doing this work, but the experience I want to tell you about now happened as a result of a drumming meditation. I am never one to do things half-heartedly. If I commit to a practice, I do it with all my heart and soul.   So when we began the drumming circle, drumming very

I Like My Face (a poem)

  I like my face. It will not win a beauty prize, And none will fall upon their knees, And none will praise it to the skies, Nor measure it in fine degrees.   But still, I like my face: I like my honest, laughing eyes, My largish nose, my impish grin. It may not win a beauty prize, But I’m happy with the face I’m in.   -           Catherine, May 29, 2021

The Origins of Guilt

  The Origins of Guilt a fable by Catherine Maven Copyright © 2009   Once upon a time, the creators created a blue-green world of incredible beauty. They populated it with life of all kinds, from the microscopic to the stupendous. They gave whales and dolphins all the great oceans to play in, and otters and people wonderful lands and rivers to play in. They bestowed rainbows and butterflies, flowers and bird-songs, and billions of other miracles upon their creation. To protect the perfection of their design, however, they knew there needed to be some controls. So it was that every animal on the planet knew its place in the cycle of life and death, and operated from instincts too powerful to deny, instincts which protected not only each species’ existence, but the existence of all other species around them. But because they had created the world out of the pure joy of their being, the creators desired that at least one intelligence on the planet should be free from the const